[lbo-talk] Empire of Capital Marches On was Juan Cole's Open Letter...

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Mar 28 07:35:32 PDT 2011

Typo. It should be "U.S. leftists" not "U.S. left," which doesn't exist, but which we need to build.

Carrol

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Carrol Cox Sent: Monday, March 28, 2011 9:26 AM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: [lbo-talk] Empire of Capital Marches On was Juan Cole's Open Letter...

Comments on day by day, hour by hour news from the front is empirical drift. This repeated humanitarian stampede of the u.s. left into the hands of capital is a long-range problem which will remain whatever happens in the current campaign of the Endless War* to control the world for Capital. It is and will remain a major barrier to the emergence of a powerful left movement here.

Carrol

*Ellen Meiksins Wood. Eight years ago she said everything that actually need to be said about this latest chapter in the Endless War.

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of ken hanly Sent: Monday, March 28, 2011 9:07 AM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Juan Cole's Open Letter to the Left (supporting no fly)

As far as I know Gadaffi controls the whole of Fezzan a fact acknowledged by coalition bombing of Sabeh no doubt attempting to weaken Gadaffi's defenses.

----- Original Message ---- From: Michael Pollak <mpollak at panix.com> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Sun, March 27, 2011 9:52:37 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Juan Cole's Open Letter to the Left (supporting no fly)

On Sun, 27 Mar 2011, Fernando Cassia wrote:

> Last I read, it seems Gaddafy only firmly controls two cities.
>
>http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/51861000/jpg/_51861470_libya_airstrik
es_624_2703_b.jpg

Yes, but those two cities contain a quarter of the country's population, no?

And that leaves undecided control most of the land, where there are no cities, away from the coast.