[lbo-talk] The Balcony

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Mon Mar 28 21:28:40 PDT 2011

Meanwhile John Yoo gets the RT Tool Time award while RT also presents some fascist clone for Center for American Progress... The comedy goes on.

Well nevermind again. I just watched the most powerful existential documentary I've ever seen. It is People and Power, on AJE. It follows a high profile torture victim who interrogates a high profile police state torture administrator under Pinocet. You can't imagine a better theater of the absurd. They shake hands in the realm of a deception and ambiguity so vast that it staggers the imagination. Maybe The Wire gets to something like this level, but even The Wire seems speechless in this domain. Wow. Just knock out stuff. Even Beckette couldn't invent this.

The sides changed with such fluency I could no longer tell who was the bastard who used torture and who received it. It was Genet, The Balcony. Yet these men were not Genet. They probably had never read Genet. They were Genet.

CG