[lbo-talk] What happens when you tie test scores to pay

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 07:06:14 PDT 2011

[WS:] The problem is that people like Duncan, maybe Rhee, and other "reformers" are not themselves evil fascists. They are are well-meaning do gooders who want "help the kids" but instead put a "human face" on on evil fascist game. That happened with the dismantling of the mental health system in the US in the 1960s. Bleeding heart do gooders and reformers of various stripes did enormous work publicizing real or exaggerated abuses of mental patients, which in turn provided a cover for right wing manipulators to defund and kill the mental health care system.

It is not what these bleeding hearts intended - most of them genuinely wanted to help, they just did not know, or perhaps did not want to know, that they were just played the role of useful idiots in the right wing scheme of defunding and downsizing the public sector.

This is of course not unique - many intellectuals provided nilly willy cover up for regimes - Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot to name the most obvious - whose autocratic and murderous nature was plainly visible to anyone with half a brain. In that context, being a useful idiot in a right wing defunding game in a quasi democratic environment is far less surprising. It is not that difficult to convince oneself that various 'reform' efforts in the US can possibly produce socially desirable outcomes (and some of them indeed do) - and it takes a total cynic to see all these efforts as profiteering and defunding ploys.

Some will - no doubt - object to this by pointing to the "logic of the capitalist system" and kindred functionalist mumbo jumbo - but that obscures more than it explains. While it is true that systemic forces make certain courses of action more difficult and other easier, it does not explain why specific individuals follow a particular course of action. There are many people who "go along with the program" and then "blow a whistle" - often at considerable personal risks. There are also many people who can have comfortable lives pretty much regardless of what path they choose, and yet they choose to "go with the program." Functionalist arguments about "systemic forces" do no explain that - they sweep it under the rug, so to speak.

My understanding of this behavior goes along the lines set by the Stanford Prison Study and Milgram Obedience Experiment - once you enter the game, you internalize your role, pretty much regardless of what your values and state of consciousness more generally were before you entered the game. From that pov, the bleeding heart do gooders are similar to "prison guards" in the Stanford Prison Study or subjects in Milgram's experiments - they play the reform game and internalize their role in that game.

Wojtek