[lbo-talk] what money will buy you

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Mar 29 09:58:27 PDT 2011

On Mar 29, 2011, at 12:50 PM, Wojtek S wrote:

> Doug: "But the liberal foundations are great at buying off actual and
> potential radicals. "
>
> [WS:] I think it is a left wing canard designed to cover up inability
> of many lefties to sell their ideas to broader audiences or perhaps
> their inability to speak any other language than their own.

No. This country is full of various pressure groups and community organizations dependent on foundation funding. The groups are put into constant competition with each other, and encouraged to work on short-term and specific projects. Funders hate long-term stuff and general support grants. And they demand "deliverables." If these groups had to build a base, instead of competing for checks from Ford and the rest, and if they were encouraged to do more collaborative work, they might get beyond the fragmented wankery of today.

Doug