[lbo-talk] conservative states: poorer, less educated, more religious

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 10:26:51 PDT 2011

Alan: "is your point that the working class, and working class individuals, in fact have little or no real individual and collective agency because of their socialization."

[WS:] First, it is not just the working class phenomenon - I've seen it in a wide range of individuals: unemployed, retirees, manual workers, government workers, engineers, lawyers, doctors - mostly male, at least in my observation. I am not sure what kind of socialization it takes to develop this attitude - I am more willing to go with the "motivated cognition" argument http://faculty.virginia.edu/haidtlab/jost.glaser.political-conservatism-as-motivated-social-cog.pdf which can be summarized as follows: individuals who have problems coping with ambiguity an uncertainty tend to gravitate to social environments that provide them with certitudes and rigidity they crave (e.g. religion or conservative organizations) and that affiliation socializes them into hateful conservative ideologies. That may explain why people of different social and cultural backgrounds join hate movements (like the right wing talk show radio) and become "the spiteful voter" http://exiledonline.com/we-the-spiteful/.

But I think it is a very complex phenomenon and it really depends on individual circumstances. However, I do not think it is just a result of manipulation and brainwashing by the elites, the hate, spiteful ideologies and voting provide some emotional/cognitive "uses and gratifications" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uses_and_gratifications_theory to the individuals who espouse them. In other words, they are not dupes, they are willing virtual executioners.

Wojtek