[lbo-talk] Just P-P-Pondering...

Bill White bill.white at griggsinst.com
Wed Mar 30 11:40:03 PDT 2011

In a sublime-to-ridiculous note, I was a Morris dancer for many years, and now I am a musician for a Morris side. The music and the dancing are intimately connected, though it often appears that the musicians and the dancers must be equally drunk for the dance to work.

I'm not sure other kinds of folk dancing are as closely connected to particular tunes. Scottish country dances are most often for any old reel/jig/hornpipe, depending on the dance. Contra dances are also rarely dependent on the tune. Western square dancers famously can dance to a click track. I'm told they sometimes do, as the music confuses them while they try to remember complicated sequences.