[lbo-talk] Just wondering...

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 30 11:56:40 PDT 2011

Doug:

> With the right drugs, I probably could dance to Metal Machine Music.

And Charles:

> CB: Don't u need drugs to listen to it anyway ?

Metal Machine Music has this undeserved reputation of being such an unlistenable horrific noise recording, but in reality it's a mellow, electronic drone record. There is nothing freaky about MMM for people whose musical diet consists of the likes of David Tudor, Kevin Drumm, Stockhausen, Toshimaru Nakamura, Keith Rowe, etc.

I love to fall asleep to Metal Machine Music, though my favorite "fall asleep" recording of that sort is probably Keith Rowe and Oren Ambarchi's Flypaper.

The Zeitkratzer Ensemble in Berlin actually recorded MMM:

http://www.zeitkratzer.de/mmm.html