[lbo-talk] Rhythm, dance, and music

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Mar 30 19:45:02 PDT 2011

I don't know a damn thing about music; in fact I always thought I was tone deaf until I married my first wife -- who really was tone deaf. So I know what I like but have no reasons for what I like. I like old jazz; I like some folk music; I like Vivaldi, Handel, and Mozart. Beethoven bores me. I like Blues music but have never listened to much of it. And so forth.

But I don't like any reduction of any thing, music, literature, etc. to some essence.

And I also suspect that the 19th-c invention of that oddity "the work of art" is corrupting this conversation at some point.

Neither Shakespeare nor Dowland, Milton nor Rubens, Pope nor Handel knew that they were producing "works of art." And John Adams said reading Cicero improved his circulation, opened his pores, something like that. In other words as late as John Adams "Literature" didn't exist. It's a historical category. And so is "Music" as discussed in this thread. It's hopeless to find the essence of Vivaldi, Cash, Louis & Ella, etc.

And talking about what is "great" and what is not is also silly. Northrop Frye wiped out that silliness about 60 years ago.

Carrol

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Mark Bennett Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2011 9:27 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Rhythm, dance, and music

Actually, Duke settled this argument years ago, didn't he? "It don't mean a thing if ain't got that swing." I mean, he ought to have known.