[lbo-talk] Rhythm, dance, and music

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 06:24:49 PDT 2011

Just for the record, I never said that music lost its vitality when you could no longer dance to it. What I said was that jazz did. Nor did I say that vitality is the main or only virtue of jazz

It seems to me that rhythm is the trace of the social in music and that once it's gone, music is no longer about something that everybody can join in and do. It has lost its vernacular if you will. This is not to say that the select few cannot enjoy the rarefied pleasures of non-rhythmic music; it's just to say that they are few and select.

Joanna

^^^^^^^ CB: I appreciate the teaching concerning the link of rhythm and sociality. I do think the pleasures of melody etc are accessible to the masses and the faculties for appreciating it can be exercised while dancing, and even maybe influence the dancing , though I have to think about that. For one a stiller aspect of dancing it posing , making temporarily fixed shapes of the body that don't move to rhythm.

A pose can reflect some beauty in the melody. The melody might make one happy, so the pose is happy.