[lbo-talk] Rhythm, dance, and music

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 06:50:58 PDT 2011

Michael Smith "Carrol Cox" <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:

> I don't know a damn thing about music...
> But I don't like any reduction of any thing, music, literature, etc.
> to some essence.

I certainly agree with you on the second point, though with all modesty, I think maybe I do know a thing or two about music. Some music, anyway.

But you do seem to be arguing both sides of the question here. I can't remember the exact phrase, but didn't you say something about music not realizing its "potential" until it was "emancipated from dance," vel sim.? There's a whiff of essentialism about that, to my nose anyway; as if there were something purely "musical" that you get when you refine away all the extra-musical dross.

If you're combatting the notion that dance itself is somehow the "essence" of music, you have the high ground; but as far as I know, there's nobody in the trenches on the other side.

^^^^^^^ CB: How about : The "essence" of music is something like human voice. Musical instruments are founded in extension of voice. Dance's essence is in human bodily movement in harmony and coordination with sounds especially music... so, body language related to voice (which is patently related to language as speech, tongue) tra la la do re me fa so related to undulation. ?????????