[lbo-talk] Satin Doll

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 07:46:36 PDT 2011

Satin Doll

Cigarette holder / which wigs me over her shoulder / she digs me. Out cattin' / that satin / doll. Baby, shall we go / out skippin ? Careful, amigo, / you're flippin', ( u trippin) speaks Latin / that satin doll. She's nobody's fool / so I'm playing it cool as can be. I'll give it a whirl / but I ain't for no girl catching me, swich-e-rooney. Telephone numbers / well you know (whatever) doing my rhumbas / with uno and that IN / my satin / doll.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satin_Doll

Satin Doll" is a jazz standard written by Duke Ellington and Billy Strayhorn with lyrics by Johnny Mercer. Written in 1953, the song has been recorded countless times, by such artists as Ella Fitzgerald, Frank Sinatra, 101 Strings, and Nancy Wilson. Its chord progression is well known for its unusual use of chords and opening with a ii-V-I turnaround.[1]

Nancy Wilson, satin doll, sings "Satin Doll" : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFbfLu1K2xI

Johnny Mercer was often asked to write lyrics to already popular songs. The lyrics to "Satin Doll" were written after the song was already a hit in its instrumental version. Ellington used "Satin Doll" as the closing number at most of his concerts.

It is possible that the music was not co-composed by Ellington but solely by pianist-arranger Billy Strayhorn, who worked closely with Ellington.

The popular 1950s group, The Gaylords had a minor hit with their recording of "Satin Doll" in 1958,[2][citation needed] with a version containing lyrics completely different than Mercer's.[citation needed]