[lbo-talk] gangsters make the world go round

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Sun May 1 06:05:39 PDT 2011

Anybody remember a Stylistics song called People Make the World Go Round? This para from a Taibbi article that Doug --most recently -- and Dennis Redmond also pointed us to puts me in mind of that song treated by Westside Connection (featuring Ice Cube). The lyrics are below the quote. "I make enough cheese to bring Wall Street to its Knees... got enough zeros to hire Rob Shapiro...: blew the jury a kiss they rather dismiss..."

Except Taibbi is saying Wall Streeters are never even in the same zip code as a jury:

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/why-isnt-wall-street-in-jail-20110216?page=6

>So there you have it. Illegal immigrants:
>393,000. Lying moms: one. Bankers: zero. The
>math makes sense only because the politics are
>so obvious. You want to win elections, you bang
>on the jailable class. You build prisons and
>fill them with people for selling dime bags and
>stealing CD players. But for stealing a billion
>dollars? For fraud that puts a million people
>into foreclosure? Pass. It's not a crime. Prison
>is too harsh. Get them to say they're sorry, and
>move on. Oh, wait ­ let's not even make them say
>they're sorry. That's too mean; let's just give
>them a piece of paper with a government stamp on
>it, officially clearing them of the need to
>apologize, and make them pay a fine instead. But
>don't make them pay it out of their own pockets,
>and don't ask them to give back the money they
>stole. In fact, let them profit from their
>collective crimes, to the tune of a record $135
>billion in pay and benefits last year. What's
>next? Taxpayer-funded massages for every Wall
>Street executive guilty of fraud?

Here's the beginning lyrics to Gangsters Make the World Go Round. Hear it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfADEHNa7XE

I'm gettin dizzy as the world keeps spinnin like a frisbee Gangsta's and girls make the world twirl No hesitation I can run a nation from incarceration 30 years is what Im facin but give me 7 seas and 11 gees I make enough cheese to bring wall street to its knees Nigga please I got enough guns To fill the empire state building full of 1's Go to school is what you tell us But nigga's in school is scared of the Goodfellas We got the Yayo you can just say no But nobody makes a fuckin move untill I say so That's how it is and that's how it's gonna be Kids when you grow up who the fuck you wanna be? Like me ya black superhero Got enough zeros to hire Bob Shapiro Ya honor Im have to get rid of ya Because it aint no trivia about my house in WEST BOLIVIA Blew the jury a kiss they rather dismiss Them swim the big fish YOU fuckin guppies!!!!!!!!

[...]

Here it here: