[lbo-talk] American Idiocracy redux

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Mon May 2 06:24:00 PDT 2011

Doug: "The question is also very tendentiously worded, using the word "wasteful." If they'd asked specific questions"

[WS:] Good point. I wonder, however, what the results would be if better methodology were used. For example, if the respondents were shown the actual government spending and revenue figures (e.g. from the NIPA tables) and then they were asked to balance the budget by making specific budget cuts or tax increases. Something like that was done by the LA Times to "balance" the CA budget, but I wonder if the summary results, properly weighted, were ever reported. I do not think creating an analogous measure and reporting the results would be terribly difficult for, say, the Left Business Observer or The Nation, not to mention the NYT.

Wojtek