[lbo-talk] Right-wing attacks labor studies

Chris Sturr sturr at dollarsandsense.org
Mon May 2 09:36:10 PDT 2011

I haven't noticed anything on lbo-talk about the latest Andrew Breitbart attacks, this time on labor studies prof Judy Ancel and a colleague of hers at the University of Missouri at Kansas City, for supposedly "teaching violent union tactics." Here's the page with the patched-together videos Breitbart created: http://biggovernment.com/publius/2011/04/25/union-official-professor-teach-college-course-in-violent-union-tactics/#more-260504 .

I was at this year's United Association for Labor Education conference in New Orleans in March and I got to hang out with Judy (most memorably at Jaques-Imo's Restaurant, in Uptown, with a great group of people that included two members of the *Mineros* union representing striking miners in Cananea, Mexico). If you go to the website with the Breitbart video, you'll see that the comments are really toxic, including lots of threats of or incitements to violence. The video itself, which is transparently patched together, doesn't even really depict what they claim it does. But Judy's colleague has already been forced to resign both from a union post and from a teaching post at the university.

For details, check out the excellent article<http://labornotes.org/2011/04/right-wing-hoaxster-smears-labor-educators>at Labor Notes by Jane Slaughter and Mischa Gaus ( http://labornotes.org/2011/04/right-wing-hoaxster-smears-labor-educators), and here is the blog pos<http://dollarsandsense.org/blog/2011/04/right-wing-attacks-labor-studies.html>t my colleague Linda Pinkow wrote on the whole affair:

We were outraged to learn about the recent attack on our friend and

-- -- Chris Sturr Co-editor, Dollars & Sense 29 Winter St. Boston, Mass. 02108 phone: 617-447-2177, ext. 205 fax: 617-447-2179 email: sturr at dollarsandsense.org