[lbo-talk] Obama got Osama

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Mon May 2 11:56:20 PDT 2011

Toil and grow rich, What’s that but to lie With a foul witch And after, drained dry, To be brought To the chamber where Lies one long sought With despair.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Wojtek S" <wsoko52 at gmail.com>

Joanna, I think you are missing the point of this discussion. If moral virtues could improve the lot of the humankind, religions would be all that is needed. The point of the USSR being a superpower was not their military, but rather that it created enough productive potential to a superpower, which takes a lot for what used to be backward country. We could argue whether that productive potential could have been put to a better use that the military gear - but that is beside the point. The point is that their created that potential in direct contradiction of the pseudo science of economics tells us about "balancing" supply and demand, budgets etc.

PS. I think that most people (save a few die hard idealistic intellectuals) would prefer to be rich and live amongst selfish bastards than to be poor and live amongst the virtuous.

Wojtek