[lbo-talk] Obama got Osama

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Mon May 2 16:23:25 PDT 2011

> Somebody: "Having said that, personally, I do not see the hopes of
> mankind as resting entirely upon the feeble shoulders of the working
> class and poor. The main means of improving humanities condition is
> through technological progress."
>
> [WS:} I wholeheartedly second this opinion.

I strongly disagree on both points, the working class is feeble, and technology will save us. To the first, go back and watch some of the great videos of the street actions in Tunisia and Egypt. Remember too that labor unions had already been organized outside the state apparatus. Small groups of working class are feeble, but there are thresholds where more numbers multiply power more than simple addition would suggest.

In a very real sense technology is pursued in the capitalist orders precisely to enslave more and more people, by tying their lives to the grinding mill, just as in antiquity.

So I came to the conclusion the road to liberation was through loose social organizations of people. You have to be able to see this kind of organic order form to believe it.. If you haven't seen this kind of thing, then you've missed an important part of understanding the social.

If WS and Somebody go back and re-watch what went on in Taquir Square, you all could see this informal social creation forming within the public space. They created their own medical care system, their own food distribution, their own schools and day care, their own police, their own arts, etc. All the institutions we associate with society were created right in front of the cameras. It's worth a study, especially a marxist informed sociology...

CG