[lbo-talk] Race to Nowhere | Slate

Dissenting Wren dissentingwren at yahoo.com
Mon May 2 16:51:04 PDT 2011

Same story here in Chicago. We're lucky to live in a building that acquired the neighboring lot years ago (when a frat house burned down!) that now serves as a back yard. There are 7-8 post-toddler/pre-teen kids in the building who play in the back all the time. I don't spend much time in the 'burbs now so I don't know what it's like there, but when I grew up in the 'burbs we were outside playing all the time. (Shit, that was forty years ago. Tempus fugit...) If this generation of 'burb kids has really lost the impulse or ability to run outside and fucking play then...shit, words fail me.

----- Original Message ---- From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Mon, May 2, 2011 2:18:44 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Race to Nowhere | Slate

On May 2, 2011, at 3:12 PM, Mark Bennett wrote:

> Do kids still play? I haven't any myself, so I don't know. I certainly
> don't see kids playing anywhere in my daily travels. You don't even see
> kids riding bikes very much.

You do in Brooklyn. Ours plays and rides his bike. The neighborhood playgrounds are full. But I think it's a different story in the suburbs.