[lbo-talk] Questions about Osama Bin Laden

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Mon May 2 18:39:09 PDT 2011

[WS:] Why would they by lying, especially at this time? It is not even close to the election day, and given the 5 minute attention span of the average voter, this would be a wasted opportunity. And what else do they gain from the story? If it was so easy to manufacture O's capture for political purposes, why did not Bush do it earlier? Besides, they must be pretty sure that O is dead, for it would be a major embarrassment if he turned up alive at some later time.

Quite frankly, I find the story that the ISI bailed O out and turned a blind eye on his whereabouts in Abbottabad quite believable. It would not surprise me if one faction in the Paki military decided to undercut another faction and tipped the US about O's whereabouts. Or perhaps the US knew about it but did nothing for some time to avoid pissing off the Pakis. That is perhaps why the details about the operation are so sketchy - there is probably more into this story than the powers that be want to reveal at this time.

Wojtek