[lbo-talk] Questions about Osama Bin Laden

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Mon May 2 20:40:15 PDT 2011

On May 2, 2011, at 11:28 PM, Mark Bennett wrote:

> Bin Laden would have had little value as a captive, and would have
> been a
> serious liability. I think the question is, why kill him now?

Yes. Why take him out *now*; and why dispose of the *corpus dilecti* gangland style, cement galoshes and all. A suggestion occurs to me: Bin Laden, who everyone knew was very ill and many (including myself) thought dead, was actually dying. His appearance in a Pakistani hospital would have been most discommoding for everyone involved so he had to be disposed of; and in the actual case, the state of his corpse would have raised most discommoding questions about the reasons for and method of the assassination. Thus the mafia techniques were the appropriate ones.

Shane Mage

"scientific discovery is basically recognition of obvious realities that self-interest or ideology have kept everybody from paying attention to"