[lbo-talk] Obama got Osama

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Mon May 2 21:14:06 PDT 2011

On 05/02/2011 01:53 PM, Somebody Somebody wrote:
> Who gets to determine the criteria of worth? (A political question.)
>
> Miles
>
> Somebody: Who? We all do. If you don't think preventing mothers from dying in childbirth and having children routinely live past the age of 5 is worthy, then by all means say so.

Well, if you grow up in a hunting and gathering society and you're asked to choose between giving up your extended families, your religion, your whole way of life so that more of your offspring can live to adulthood, the answer is not as obvious as you assume. I urge you to take a moment to consider the possiblity that the values that you live by are not the universal values that all humans share. Other people with different values would make different decisions than you do, including your decision to valorize life in an industrial society.

--and I should note: if you read this post as "life-was-so-much-better-among-the noble-savages", I'll hit you with a clew-by-four (as shag would say).

Miles