[lbo-talk] Race to Nowhere... && Obama got Osama

Gar Lipow gar.lipow at gmail.com
Wed May 4 06:35:24 PDT 2011

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 5:50 AM, Wojtek S <wsoko52 at gmail.com> wrote:
> ravi: " What I have techno-utopia-phobia."
>
> [WS:]  I am in the same camp on this.  I think society (rather than
> capitalists) should have a choice which technologies to adopt and
> which to reject, although I recognize that exercising that choice may
> pose some practical difficulties.  However, in a planned society where
> all investments are public and individuals own only personal property,
> that condition can be closely approximated.
>
> Having said that, however, I believe that generally speaking,
> technology tends to "bring good things to life" ;)  - if applied in a
> socially and environmentally conscious manner.  I think that negative
> effects of most technologies, including hype and techno-utopia, are
> the product of capitalism - that is profiteering and marketing -
> rather than the technology itself.  take my arch-nemesis, the
> automobile.  There is nothing wrong with the machine itself,and it can
> offer many benefits in many settings.

<snip>

Anyone interested in this should read my book "Solving the climate crisis" when Praeger publishes it in November. If the price Praeger will be asking is a bit rich for your blood ($50) I strongly recommend asking your library to order it via interlibrary loan (when it is available - the library can't do anything pre-publication). Shameless self promotion but it is so on this topic. And you don't have to remember. I guarantee I will announce again when the book is available for order.

-- Facebook: Gar Lipow  Twitter: GarLipow Grist Blog: http://www.grist.org/member/1598 Static page: http://www.nohairshirts.com