[lbo-talk] Hurray for the Very First of May !

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Wed May 4 06:46:43 PDT 2011

Hurray !

Charles ^^^^^^^ This is well put. Even some who mostly represent the enemy wer paying their respects yesterday to our dead at the Rededication of the Haymarket Memorial in Forest Home, Illinois. Who would have thoughnt a few months ago that a Secretary-Treasurer of the AFL-CIO woul be on the same plartfrom with a self-described undocumented migrant, speaking under the red flag even. (Yes, Red is the color of Laboar, not just of Reds -- but still!) And listen to the president of the Illiinois Laboar History Socieity point out that the 140d+ buried adjacent to theHaymarket memorial included anarchists, communists, Spanish Civil War veterans -- and thata they all had struggled for human freedom. (Incidentally -- not a single American flag in sight, though there were plenty of tributes to "American Ideals" etc.) The last words at sentencing of the Haymarket martayrs were read; we heard of Lucy Parsons speaking in Chicago in the 1930s.; all speakers (including the many Labaor dignitaraies) emphasized that May Day was the real labaor day. Quite impressive all in all.

Carrol

P.S. Interesting stat on Forest Home:

Graveyard population: 550,000

Living population: 10,000.

P.S. 2. Driving throgy Maywood we noted the Fred Hampton Memoral Boullevard. (Exact name from a cloudy memory.)