[lbo-talk] Questions about Osama Bin Laden

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Wed May 4 11:02:16 PDT 2011

Joanna: "I guess there were stories they didn't want him to tell. Thanks for the link."

[WS:] That crossed my mind too. But on the second thought, I do not think OBL would cooperate if taken alive. The reasons why he was killed rather than taken alive were probably much simpler - the live OBL would be a tremendous liability to the USG. The right would almost certainly demand handing him to a military tribunal, the hoi polloi celebrating his killing would demand dragging him in a cage through the streets or other forms of public humiliation, international community would demand handing him over to the ICJ in the Hague, and his celebrity status in the Muslim world would probably skyrocket. And who knows, maybe he would reveal some dirty secrets to embarrass, say, the former administration or its allies. Shooting him on the spot killed all those problems with one bullet or two, so to speak.

Wojtek