[lbo-talk] Race to Nowhere... && Obama got Osama

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Wed May 4 19:20:45 PDT 2011

----- Original Message ----- From: "Carrol Cox" <cbcox at ilstu.edu>

There are those who think the technology _is_ the culture. And it is not wholly false. One determinant of culture is the means by which members of it communicate. The classic (and perhaps apocryphal) case is the village the culture of which was destroyed when some western dogooders installed running water in the homes. It seems the village was held together by women talking to each other at the communal well. -----------

Indeed. I am finding this out the hard way. Although I can do my work at home 99% of the time, and I am allowed to do so, I find that depression/anxiety haunt me, and I do believe I will try to drive into work once a week to have some physical human company and to occupy a social space.

While the lbo chat is great, the virtual conversation is not really a conversation, & the energetic and physical presence of those I cherish and those who irritate are greatly missed.

A well would be great. Perhaps I should take this moment to predict the name of the next great social networking site: The Well. Can't do much better than that.

Joanna