[lbo-talk] Fidel: El asesinato de Bin Laden/The assassination of Bin Laden

Peter Fay peterrfay at gmail.com
Thu May 5 10:55:47 PDT 2011

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 12:46 PM, Wojtek S <wsoko52 at gmail.com> wrote:

> [WS:] Since Comrade Fidel did not say anything much different from
> the internet chatter on the subject, let me try to say something.

Not sure why you call him comrade...

As to the US commandos killing him [Osama] - this was just a natural
> consequence of the path that OBL entered a long time ago, nothing to
> rejoice, nothing to abhor. Just the grand finale of the greatest
> spectacle of the 21st century to date.

Wojtek

It seems somewhat ironic that bourgeois media (BBC, Guardian, Spiegel, much of European press), as well as revolutionaries such as Castro seriously question the legality of execution of prisoners by the US while some leftist chatter passes it off as 'nothing to abhor'.

Violation of bourgeois legality, though convenient for Obama, ought be highlighted, rather than dismissed. Particularly in light of the US history of assassinations from Lumumba, through Guevara, Qassim, Trujillo, Diem, and the dozens upon dozens of attempts on Castro, and even today, on Gaddafi.

'US executive order 12333, signed by President Ronald Reagan, says: "No person employed by or acting on behalf of the United States government shall engage in, or conspire to engage in, assassination." ' http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_9475000/9475681.stm http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/may/05/death-of-a-terrorist http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/0,1518,760580,00.html http://www.eurotopics.net/en/presseschau/aeltere/NEWSLETTER-2011-05-04-Killing-of-Bin-Laden-puts-US-under-pressure