[lbo-talk] vaca reading

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Thu May 5 13:04:37 PDT 2011

Richard Horsley's work is a good example of biblical scholarship from a Left perspective - of which there is a great deal. But this issue is addressed in an even wider perspective by a discussion in the last generation, primarily in what used to be called the Third World:

Liberation Theology was vigorously suppressed in the American empire - US-backed death squads assassinated Abp. Romero of San Salvador in 1980; US-trained soldiers murdered and raped Jesuit leaders of Liberation Theology and their staff at the University of Central America in 1989; and in between the US carried out a major war against the Catholic Church. Many of the victims of Reagan’s efforts in Central America were clergy and church workers - for clear and explicit reasons, officially stated at the School of America, which trains Latin American officers: one of its advertising points to this day is that the US Army helped "defeat liberation theology."

One of the earliest statements - which begins with a discussion of Althusser and modern biblical scholarship - remains one of the best:

Gustavo Gutierrez, "A Theology of Liberation: History, Politics, and Salvation" (1971 & later eds.).

See also

Herbert McCabe, "The class struggle and Christian love" <http://bit.ly/mqsYSg> (1987).