[lbo-talk] vaca reading

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Fri May 6 19:37:07 PDT 2011

At 03:07 AM 5/5/2011, Sandy Harris wrote:
>On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 8:54 AM, shag carpet bomb <shag at cleandraws.com> wrote:
> > it's that time again: tell me what to read!
> >
> > Anything you've seen lately on the new fiction or new non-fiction shelves
> > that you've read or would like to? Any good social or political
> > theory/philosophy books that everybody's reading. What about sociology
> Alan?
>
>Books remaindered in their home countries often turn up in China at reasonable
>prices. One I liked was "Guns, Germs and Steel", a broad overview on
>differences in societies with a 10,000+ year perspective.

I got that for R a few years ago and ended up reading it myself. It was quite good. I've wondered about his other stuff... But someone remind me, didn't he come up against some criticism recently. I think I read some controversy in Atlantic Monthly or Harper's where he was caught out fudging the data or some of his informants said that he was misrepresenting them or something? Anyone know more about the upshot of the controversy?

shag