[lbo-talk] Showtime (was Re: Race to Nowhere... && Obama got Osama)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat May 7 15:45:50 PDT 2011

On 5/7/2011 4:13 PM, Dennis Claxton wrote:

I was in the car for a couple hours yesterday and listened to a lot of sports radio. If only americans thought as deeply and critically about politics as they do about sports we'd be like, I don't know, France or something.

--------

In other words Americans are not deficient in the capacity for deep and critical thinking, and those sociologists who claimed college students couldn't, and those lbo posters who agreed with the sociologists were all full of shit. It wasn't that the college students (or for that matter, the high-school dropouts) are intellectually unable to think critically; they simply (for reasons no one cares to investigate, chose different topics to think about. In fact all statements that detached intellectuals choose to make about the "intelligence" of the poulation are full of shit because they are grounded in narrow and possibly irrelevant judgments of what topics people 'should' think about.

Carroil