[lbo-talk] chipotle restaurants and immigrant workers-a chipotle fan speaks up

MICHAEL YATES mikedjyates at msn.com
Sun May 8 15:34:50 PDT 2011

I thought that this comment on facebook is interesting. My reply follows:

Erika: "Here's the thing: tons of huge industries hire undocumented workers, the meatpacking industry being the most egregious example, but who gets investigated? A guy who is trying to bring better food to the masses, support sustainable agriculture, and who seems to provide a pretty decent workplace. This isn't about undocumented workers, it's about his politics."   Me: "Erika, see my addendum above [the Reuters quote about Chipotle's uncanny ability to keep its labor costs low]. Ells knows exactly what he is doing. 100 percent turnover doesn't bode well for working conditions. And1.8 billion in sales is no mom and pop organization, nor is a 100,000 person hiring plan. Not many companies have that many workers. This is one firm, not an industry. But it is in an industry notorious for bad conditions, low pay, wage theft, etc. And finally, what do you mean by masses? I have my doubts. And what are Ells' politics? You sound as if he is a communist."