[lbo-talk] vaca reading

Dissenting Wren dissentingwren at yahoo.com
Mon May 9 10:26:05 PDT 2011

I thought you just wanted a reference to some of the standard works from which Diamond's work is derivative. But, given your history here, I should have known that you were trolling. Va bene, ciao!

----- Original Message ---- From: Joseph Catron <jncatron at gmail.com> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Mon, May 9, 2011 12:13:05 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] vaca reading

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 7:44 PM, Dissenting Wren <dissentingwren at yahoo.com>wrote:

Alfred Crosby, Ecological Imperialism
> William H. McNeill, Plagues and Peoples
> William H. McNeill, The Pursuit of Power: Technology, Armed Force, and
> Society
> since A.D. 1000

And their contents? From glancing at Wikipedia entries, it seems like the first two of these merely flesh out the "how" knowledge I already have concerning the historical impact of infectious diseases, without addressing the "why" questions Diamond aspires to answer. What do they offer beyond that? And I can't find as much on that particular volume by McNeill. What's his big thesis?