[lbo-talk] vaca reading

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Mon May 9 11:41:33 PDT 2011

Factoid I learned recently, Latin America bought more slaves from Africa than North America and there is a whole Afro-Latin movement in DC's public university to research this. Hail to them.

CG

^^^^^^^^ CB; Yes, Brazil has a larger proportion African derived population than the US . The first European slave traders were the Portugese. I think slavery was abolished in Cuba after it was in the US.

Notice _Latin_ America. There the Roman roots are explicit..

I don't see slavery and colonialism as inherent in the logic of then new wage-labor/capital relation. That's the materialism of historical materialism. It's the historical part of historical materialism form when the slavery and colonialist systems that started circa 14 and 1500.