[lbo-talk] chipotle restaurants and immigrantworkers-a chipotle fan speaks up

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Mon May 9 15:28:08 PDT 2011

On May 9, 2011, at 12:47 AM, Jordan Hayes wrote:
> Ravi writes:
>
>> I should also have made it clear that I do not consider
>> animal welfare driven food choices an act of consumer
>> politics.
>
> But really, that's just because you reject all consumption of meat, right?

I no longer understand the usage of the word ‘reject’ - I see it in headlines such as (made up): “Obama rejects criticism from the Left”. Does ‘reject’ mean I don’t personally take part in or agree with some idea or action? Or does it mean ‘refute’ via argument?

My tentative answer to your question then is that I personally do not eat meat. I think it is fine that others do eat meat and I do not reject these people (many of them family members). My own preference to not start eating meat (which is really what it is, not the other way around: I did not stop/drop eating meat) stems from inertia, aesthetics (subjective POV of a never-meat-eater) and finally ethics.

> And of course your own choice is not one of politics either; it's simply a matter of ethics.

Why “simply”? And isn’t “politics” a larger beast than consumer politics/activism? Do you think that there is no intersection between politics and ethics?

—ravi