[lbo-talk] vaca reading

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Wed May 11 10:41:07 PDT 2011

cb: "Lots of guns were manufactured in Europe not because of luck".

[WS:] The capacity to manufacture them was created by better access to natural resources, which can be explained by either luck or divine intervention. I prefer the former. But anyone in that position would use their advantage to dominate other less advantageous groups - simply because they could. Imperialist ideology is only a product of that capacity, something produce to legitimate the fait accompli. If you think that other ethnic groups would act differently in this situation, you are deluding yourself.

As to "vulgar determinism" - I do not think it applies to Diamond. He uses culture as an explanatory factor to explain setback societies experienced. In Guns Germs and Steel he makes that argument about China, which was technologically better equipped than Europe to conquer America, but abandoned that pursuit due to internal strife. He advances that point much further in _Collapse_ where he demonstrates how pissing contests and kindred cultural fuckups destroyed societies by pushing them to overtax their natural resources.

So his argument can be summarized as follows. Civilizational successes are fundamentally attributable to uneven playing fields at the start - some groups got better resources than others (which is basically luck.) However, civilizational failures are attributable for a large part to cultural factors which prevented some societies from using natural resources available to them wisely. I like his argument it is based on good counterfactual evidence that he produced.

And if the kulturpolizei does not like it, "fuck the police." :)

Wojtek