[lbo-talk] Original sources

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Thu May 12 09:47:46 PDT 2011

cb: "The situation of the professorate, especially in the US where publishing "original" writing is necessary to avoid "perishing", has a dynamic by which professors have to promote their own writing about classic or major writings. It is untenable to just have students read famous books and teach them. Over the years the derivative literary critical works accumulate, and the past ones must be endorsed by the present professors as a basis for endorsement of their own writings. Can't blame the professors. They are driven by economic self-interest and need . Don't cha think ?"

[WS:} You are absolutely right. The cult of the original was created by the certain mode of production of intellectual commodity and intellectual property rights. Back in the middle ages, scholars and writers did not subscribe to the same principles - they borrowed from other writers rather freely.

But having said this, I do not think this addresses what Joanna had in in mind, at least as I see it. Looking at documents created in a particular social-historical milieu can give you a lot of information about that milieu that will otherwise be lost in translation. It is kind of like meeting someone in person, and communicating with him/her via the internet.

Wojtek