[lbo-talk] Coupling of Gender Equality & Clean Energy

Gar Lipow gar.lipow at gmail.com
Fri May 13 17:31:35 PDT 2011

Since this is a forward, I'm going top post my reply. I can add a bit to this. Gender inequality does contribute a great deal to a dirtier environment in various ways in poor nations as they develop. But it contributes in the USA as well, both historically and at present.

A number of factors contributed to the current U.S. auto dependence. But one overlooked factor I learned about in "More Work For Mother" was self-service markets. Before the automobile, stores that did not cater to rural families with their own horse and cart (something only the richest of urban families had) had to deliver. And that meant that anything other than pure farm, from a small town to a large city had to be dense enough to allow grocery delivery. But once we had automobiles for the middle classes and a good part of the working working class, stores could offer lower prices for people who not only served themselves but carried their own groceries home. What made self-service possible? Not just the availability of the automobile but the fact women's time was counted at zero and women were doing the grocery shopping. (The latter had not always been true - especially in rural areas.) And that in turn allowed the development of the current type of low density suburbs. Suburbs where people did not drive to the store would have been much more like traditional small towns, something they were sold as but did not match in reality. Also would have been more expensive for developers to develop. This is discussed in my book being published in November.

Also something I've posted about on lbo talk before. A lot of wasted energy and resources occurs in modern industry due to failure to apply

the same mental skills needed to do housework properly. That stems not neccesarily from people who design industrial process not knowing how do do housework (though I'm sure that is widespread) but also from people who know how to do housework but also design industrial processes not respecting their own knowledge enough to apply in such cases. Probably because housework is gendered in practice (even if not as much as it used to be still substantially) thus seen as unskilled work and not thought of as a form of knowledge worth applying to something as sophisticated as say manufacture of computer chips.