[lbo-talk] BHL defends DSK

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Tue May 17 22:29:51 PDT 2011

At 08:42 PM 5/17/2011, Doug Henwood wrote:

>And what I know even more is that the Strauss-Kahn I know, who has
>been my friend for twenty years and who will remain my friend, bears
>no resemblance to this monster, this caveman, this insatiable and
>malevolent beast now being described nearly everywhere. Charming,
>seductive, yes, certainly; a friend to women and, first of all, to
>his own woman, naturally, but this brutal and violent individual,
>this wild animal, this primate, obviously no, it's absurd.

When I get character reference letters containing paragraphs like this written on behalf of criminal defendants, I have to tell the writer to do it over (even though they've been advised not to say things like this in an outline given with the request that they write a letter.) This is lawyer talk.

>What I know as well is that nothing, no earthly law, should also
>allow another woman, his wife, admirable in her love and courage, to
>be exposed to the slime of a public opinion drunk on salacious
>gossip and driven by who knows what obscure vengeance.

Oh. I guess he is a lawyer. Specializing in whatever the fuck earthly law is.