[lbo-talk] Ethics in International Affairs

Dissenting Wren dissentingwren at yahoo.com
Thu May 19 08:12:27 PDT 2011

You might take a look at Ken Booth's Theory of World Security. I wasn't very happy with the book when I taught it, but YMMV, and in any case its footnotes would help you find some of the more critical theory approaches.

----- Original Message ---- From: Ismail Lagardien <ilagardien at yahoo.com> To: Marxist List <marxism at acidification.economics.utah.edu>; lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Thu, May 19, 2011 8:36:06 AM Subject: [lbo-talk] Ethics in International Affairs

Hi Everyone

I will be teaching Ethics in international affairs in August as part of my new position (University of Guyana). The last good texts on the subject were kinda liberal, Terry Nardin and Mervyn Frost. Now that I will design and teach my own course, I would like to take a more Critical approach.

This is not self-promotion as I have nothing to gain from your visiting the blog

I created. I really created it mainly for my family who are befuddled about why I am moving from the US to one of the poorest countries in the world... http://heytaguyana.wordpress.com/ I am thrilled, they are confused, alas.

I am fairly comprehensive in my teaching, and there is a lot of literature produced by liberal internationalists and liberals like the Carnegie Council on Ethics and International Affairs. However, I would like to find more Critical sources. I am not a post-modernist, and share some solidarities with post-colonial theorists (and as the saying goes, Marx never did write anything on "International Relations" - but Marxists have! - I am open to anything to the

left of liberal internationalism. While I have taught IR theory courses and political theory courses - my training is mainly in political economy, especially International Political Economy - this will be the first time, since my first degree that I will read/write or do anything on International Ethics/Ethics in International Affairs.

I leave the US on 28 June and would like to get hold of a couple of good books before I leave. Have you any suggestions?

Ismail

Ismail Lagardien Department of Politics and Public Administration

Elon University Elon, NC 27244