[lbo-talk] what fiscal emergency?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat May 21 06:36:47 PDT 2011

On 5/21/2011 7:53 AM, Julio Huato wrote:
> Carrol wrote:
>

>> We do not attempt to change minds in order to change the world.
>> We attempt to change the world in order to change minds. The latter
>> is the ultimate goal, but the former is the means -- in fact the only
>> means.
>>
> The formula for getting nowhere or -- worse -- for crashing our car:

Julio I never respond to you on this because it's simply an empirical fact that you can't bring yourself too recognize. Debating it is simply wasted time. I'm not interested in its validity -- that is a given. I'm only interested in its political implications.

But do note that I place considerable emphasis on focused information. It is essential, even if those who write it don't realize or can't admit what it _doesn't_ do: change minds. Propaganda is essential to any movement. And attempting to persuade others is vital to expanding one's own understanding of one's own position. So in a way the Rhetorical Myth is useful. The aim of persuading, that is, both motivates AND sharpens material vital for other reasons.

Carrol