[lbo-talk] America, the world’s sweatshop

Charles Turner vze26m98 at optonline.net
Sat May 21 12:12:45 PDT 2011

<http://www.thestar.com/business/article/994354--olive-america-the-world-s-sweatshop>

"Many top European firms have joined “the race to the bottom” in employee costs.

But China is no longer the “off-shoring” jurisdiction of choice. With annual wage gains now averaging 15 per cent to 20 per cent, combined with stagnant wages in North America, China will lose its labour-cost advantage over North America in just four years time, according to a report this month by the Boston Consulting Group.

>From Hamburg to Lyon to Stockholm, the question is why aren’t we serving the North American market from lower-cost facilities there? Which means that “guilt-free shopping” will soon mean avoiding “Made in USA” labels on products made by workers denied a decent living wage.

The Euro-exploiters are especially drawn to the U.S. South, which for three decades have lured employers with so-called “right to work” laws. That’s an Orwellian term for government-sanctioned hostility to workers’ rights, including the right to organize."

Here's the LA Times are cited:

<http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-meyerson-europeans-20110515,0,3990894.story>