[lbo-talk] Joseph Massad: Emperor Obama Vs the Arab people

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Sat May 21 15:50:10 PDT 2011

``Obama's attempt to deny the hatred that Arabs feel towards the United States and Israel because of the actions of these two countries is nothing short of the continued refusal of the United States and Israel (not of Arabs) to take responsibility for their own actions by shifting the blame for the horrendous violence they have inflicted on the region onto their very victims. When Obama and Israel call on Arabs to take responsibility for the state of the region and not blame the US and Israel for it, what they are essentially doing is to refuse to take responsibility for what they have inflicted on Arabs'' AJE

Consider this an open letter to the Egyptians. I found the above `take responsibility' line particularly amusing coming from Obama. That's the line he used in front of the Urban League and the NAACP. In that context the responsibility line was used to shift the problems of public education onto poor and working parents. He was pushing for the `community' to stop resisting NCLB and get behind `our' efforts to turn around the public education mess.

This shifting of responsibility game was also used in the financial crises to blame homeowners for losing their houses. They were obviously not meeting their financial responsibilities.

I am old enough to remember back in the bad old days what liberals like Moyinhan were like. Here's a hint about the problems of poverty and the Negro Family:

``Moynihan Report was written by then-sociologist and later U.S. Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan and released in 1965. It focused on the deep roots of black poverty in America and concluded that the relative absence of nuclear (that is, husband-wife) families would greatly hinder further progress toward economic and political equality.''

In other words the poverty of black americans was cause by something about black american and their failure to take their duties and responsibilities as parents and spouses seriously.

I guess they forgot AFDC was structured so that there couldn't be a man (18-65) in the family and recieve this benefit.

Of course it never occurred to Moynihan or Obama people who are or have been poor, that in the struggle to survive poverty kills families. More of us are going to learn this lesson again as thousands loose their jobs, can't find work, and break up their families. The women and kids usually move in with relatives. The old man is out on the street or living in his car. Then there is moving in with your aging parents if you have any... This shit gets grim.

I also love the idea Obama considers his success story the effect of his taking responsibility for his own life and working hard to get ahead. I guess he forgot about affirmative action and decades of civil rights work by thousands and thousands of people who spent their lives trying to make things better.

So, in solidarity.

CG