[lbo-talk] the Constitution

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun May 22 06:36:34 PDT 2011

On 5/21/2011 11:57 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:

>> It is a measure of our current ideological morass

It is as you say a nice piece on the Constitution, and that is important. But this phrase is idiotic. Every word of it.

Who does this alleged morass belong to: "_Our_ morass? Who is we?

"Current"? When was it different?

"Measure": A meaningless metaphor? To be a liberal _means_ to be captive of a false ideology. And it has always meant that. The writer in effect complains that, who would have guessed it, we still live in a capitalist world.

The article is still very good. I'm glad it was forwarded to the list. But too many leftists have this tendency to decorate their writing with meaningless squawks of this sort. It gets annoying.

Carrol