[lbo-talk] the Constitution

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun May 22 10:40:54 PDT 2011

On 5/22/2011 11:07 AM, Eubulides wrote:
> -----Original Message----- From: Carrol Cox
> "Measure": A meaningless metaphor? To be a liberal _means_ to be
> captive of a false ideology. And it has always meant that.
>
> Uh oh.

Well, I was a bit hesitant on this line. But to go back quite a ways, read Matthew Arnold (esp. perhaps Culture and Anarchy and Rugby Chapel).

And it is also worth noting that for at least 40 years "progress" and "progressive" have been favorite words of _botyh_ liberals and conservatives. The WSJ regularly labeled Reagan's plicies as as constituting progress. (Cf. the use of "reform" on the ritght.) The concept of history as linear is very close to the core of capitalist ideology.

Also, see the final speech by Herod in Auden's "Crhistmas Oratorio." The concluding words: "I'm a liberal. I want everyone to be happy. I wish I were dead."

Carrol