[lbo-talk] drug war news

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun May 22 13:40:30 PDT 2011

O.K. Immense wealth at stake; ease of smuggling when trade between Mexico & U.S. grew, & no regulation. This intensified competition, which among illegal organizations means violence.

Did I miss some part which accounts for the police becoming involved in the war. Did the state attempt to stop the flow, thus inciting the attacks on police? And if so, why did the state make this decision? Not regulating trade is one thing; trying to stop it is another.

But NAFTA's only role was making smuggling easier, not in its impact on rural Mexico.

Carrol