[lbo-talk] Sanctimonious Jackass Brad DeLong vs. Political Philosopher Chris Bertram

michael perelman michael.perelman3 at gmail.com
Wed May 25 08:50:11 PDT 2011

I do not approve of Brad DeLong's attack on the left -- perhaps most painfully with the case of Paul Sweezy. On the other hand, his critiques of the right have served a good purpose.

I have a question. I think that it is useful to keep watch on self-described leftists who advocate destructive policies, such as so-called humanitarian imperialism. I suspect that it makes more sense to hit such people personally than people who do not pretend to be progressives, but who agree with us most of the time.

On the other hand, people, such as Obama or Clinton, who advance their careers by hypocritically insinuating that the are more progressive than they are, deserve harsh criticism.

I suspect that I am in the minority here. Maybe I am making a distinction without a difference. I will be travelling the next two days, so any responses will probably be delayed.

530 898 5321 fax 530 898 5901 http://michaelperelman.wordpress.com