[lbo-talk] Lack of left due to prescription drugs?

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Wed May 25 12:50:02 PDT 2011

On May 25, 2011, at 3:06 PM, C. G. Estabrook wrote:

> But I don't like Bloom's thumbnail description of Hamlet: "Hamlet
> discovers that his life has been a quest with no object except his
> own endlessly burgeoning subjectivity."

What nonsense. As anyone (like Rosencrantz and Guildenstern in Stoppard's play) can see at first glance Hamlet's only "quest" is to reclaim the crown to which he was heir and which had been stolen from him by the machinations of his uncle and mother.

As Shaw once asked: "Are the commentators on *Hamlet* insane or only pretending to be so?"

Shane Mage

"scientific discovery is basically recognition of obvious realities that self-interest or ideology have kept everybody from paying attention to"