[lbo-talk] "Please Governor Snyder, make my school a prison."

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Thu May 26 14:01:24 PDT 2011

Pretty much everything in this is wrong:

>>From the Gratiot County Herald:

> We (Michigan) rank nationally at the top in the number of people we incarcerate.

Nope. Not even close

>We also spend the most money per prisoner annually than any other state in the union.

Nope.

>Consider the life of a Michigan prisoner. They get three square meals a day.

Is he talking about the food or the shape of the container?

http://www.slate.com/id/2214621/

In place of doctor visits: http://news.change.org/stories/expanding-internet-access-in-prison

Wrong again: http://www.slate.com/id/2295417/

>They can earn a degree.

"Before 1995 (when congress ended pell grants for prisoners) there were some 350 college-degree programs for prisoners in the United States. Today there are about a dozen, four of them in New York State"