[lbo-talk] a test scorer's lament

Eric Beck ersatzdog at gmail.com
Fri May 27 09:06:55 PDT 2011

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 1:43 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
> Depressing piece on what it's like to score all the standardized test American kids are forced to take:
>
> http://monthlyreview.org/2010/12/01/the-loneliness-of-the-long-distance-test-scorer

Pearson has a scoring center in Austin, and though I've been able to avoid having to work as a scorer, most of my proofreader/copy editor friends have not. From things they've told me, if anything this article understates the awfulness of the work and how agonizing it is to know that your judgment on students' essays can have a huge impact on their lives.