[lbo-talk] boutique bbq with a machete

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Fri May 27 20:42:41 PDT 2011

Only in red state america a place of fantastic contradictions, including great food and bad politics.

I actually learned how to cook stripe bass from a black guy whose family hailed from Georgia---it was essentially the same recipe shown here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPsokhoswSI&NR=1&feature=fvwp

Striped bass used to be a very common fish in SF bay with its strong currents and mirky cold water.

On a fluke I looked up the Iraqi national dish, Masgouf. What were we doing killing these people? Their dish is the middle eastern equivalent of bbq stripe bass with flat bread, tomatoes and various spices. What an absurd tragedy. We should have just gone on a cook out together. We even use the same techique of fire and smoke on one side, fish on the other, for maximum smoke flavor and slow heat. The Native Americans use the same technique for their cooking in clay wood fired ovens. You need a resinous desert wood for best results, like the pinion pine.