[lbo-talk] RTe: The revolution will not be televised

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Mon May 30 18:02:48 PDT 2011

On May 30, 2011, at 3:19 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:
> I was thinking of doing a radio show on political music - why so much of it sucks, and what makes the good stuff, like Gil Scott-Heron, not suck. Any ideas, either for substance or guests? Ned Sublette would be on the list, for sure. But others?

I don’t know… for a lot of political music the music seems to be an afterthought (especially in the case of overtly political content).

FWIW:

I always liked the Asian Dub Foundation and was surprised to find one of their participants, IIRC, running a WBAI show (I forget the name of the show now). Among more mainstream musicians with explicit politics, I have liked some (or at least one) of the songs of Everlast (the House of Pain frontman, IIRC), Taleb Kweli, Chumbawamba, Johnny Clegg… but I am a sucker for pop/hiphop/melody.

—ravi