[lbo-talk] RTe: The revolution will not be televised

Joshua Morey amvojo at gmail.com
Tue May 31 09:52:55 PDT 2011

Doug wonders about guests re: political music...

How 'bout Boots Riley?

My introduction to Marx came via The Coup. I was a teenager and couldn't believe my ears when I heard the first line of the first song on the first album - "Presto! with a Communist Manifesto...". By the middle of the song i wondered what "dialectical analysis" was. By the middle of "Not Yet Free" (second song on first album) I was hooked:

"Capitalism is like a spider, the web is getting tighter, I'm struggling like a fighter just to bust loose. It's like a noose asphyxiation sets in just when i think I'm free it seems to be the spider steps in. This web is made of money made of greed made of me of what I have become in a parasite economy."

After hearing Kill My Landlord I promptly purchased a copy of the Manifesto.

Anyway, not sure what you think of him, but Boots Riley from the Coup might make a great guest.

-Joshua